Friday, August 19, 2011

Opinions, Please

Isn't it just like me to disappear from this space for a long stretch, and then show up like nothing has happened and ask for advice?

I had an interesting conversation with a friend the other day and it's got me thinking.  She desperately wants a new job and maybe even a new career field, but she has a serious beau who's tied to this area. Naturally, that limits her options. But, in a stunning reversal of fate, his company has announced it's consolidating operations and the best he can hope for if he wants to stay with them is to reapply for a position at significantly lower levels of pay and responsibility. He's decided he's not going to do that, so now suddenly, his options are pretty darn open.  And voila!  Now they can consider going out of state to start anew.

That revelation led to much talk about researching communities, checking maps and drawing circles to delineate reasonable commutes, listing the qualities one would want in a new city, etc.  It's all very left brain.  

Somehow that seems a little too calculating to me, not to mention being a rather daunting task. If I was facing their choice, I'm not sure I'd ever get around to doing all that homework.  I'd be more inclined to think about where I wanted to live in terms of a few Must Have dealbreakers and then let serendipity take over.

What do you think?  Have you ever chosen a new city based on research alone, or was there some element of feeling involved?  Has an impulsive move ever turned out great (or badly)?  Has one method or the other ever stalled you out in a place you couldn't wait to leave?  Or one that you loved from the first day?

I'd really like to know. Anecdotal evidence is often very convincing.     

2 comments:

  1. We ended up in our village in Catalunya completely unintentionally. It's the town the job was in, and I knew I wanted to live in the smaller town, not the larger one on the coast. It has been fabulous, and it was honestly a massive bit of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We nearly made a move from Ontario Canada to a teeny town in California. (transfer of Hubby /business) I spent Hours, Days, weeks, researching schools, neighbourhoods, communities, hospitals, doctors, PTA's, clubs for the kids. By the time I was done I felt attached to that little town and was ready to go!The transfer would have sent us to California, the reserach alone would have picked the city:)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.