Monday, June 6, 2011

Around My Neighborhood

I thought this plant on my neighbor's tree was merely an ugly, probably parasitic vine, until I took a closer look and realized it was a night-blooming cereus. That's a weirdly tropical member of the cactus family.

My parents had one in the yard when I was growing up, but I can't remember anything about it. Clearly I wasn't paying much attention.

During the day, there's plenty of interesting strangeness to look at, but not much conventional beauty.


Oh, but at night it's a different story.


No real scent here, oddly enough. They sure look like they would smell divine.

By early morning, the show is almost over. (I hope the neighbors didn't mind me taking pictures in their front yard at 6:00 a.m.)

And a little later . . .

Legend says the plant only blooms once a year, during the full moon. But I think it's more accurate to say that each individual flower only opens once. The plant has many stages of flowers growing on it at one time, so every night it looks a little different. Those fuzzy little buds are next week's night show.

3 comments:

  1. What a fabulous plant! Reminds me of a series of kid's stories we read, the Cimorene series, night blooming flowers appear in the third (?) book quite prominently!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool plant. Thanks for sharing your photos.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.