Friday, April 1, 2011

A Dessert Fail (Plus One That Works)

On the way to the poetry reading this week (more about that later, maybe), I had dinner with a friend and colleague, and we spent most of the evening talking about literature. That was nice!

Even though we wanted to arrive early and get a good seat, there was still time for dessert. The menu included something called a Chocolate Cake Shot, and I envisioned one of those square-ish shot glasses filled with chocolate cake. That's logical, right? The description included ingredients of vanilla vodka, Amaretto, and lemon sugar, which sounded like some kind of soaked chocolate cake.

But no. The waiter explained that the item didn't include any chocolate cake whatsoever; it merely tasted like chocolate cake. I was doubly intrigued by the prospect of chocolate cake and lemon in pure liquid form, and I had to try it.

Alas, it mostly tasted like vodka, and not like chocolate cake at all. Cute, but disappointing.


Tonight, at home, I ventured into tried and true dessert territory, and gobbled up this very successful dessert before I thought to take a picture. It's as simple as can be: fresh strawberries, sour cream, and brown sugar. Grab a whole strawberry by the leaves, dip it in the sour cream, then dip it in the brown sugar, and take a big bite. That's it. The combination may sound a bit weird, but the result is never disappointing.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good to me. Waiting patiently for strawberry season here. They're so much better from the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, I have the strawberries...but no sour cream!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.