Sunday, December 5, 2010

My Day on the Slippery Slope

I should have known better than to venture into a bookstore at Christmastime, with a coupon in hand.

No, I didn't get a Nook. (Never! In my world, it's paper all the way.)

I did get:


This will be a great hostess gift for a friend who said she wanted to read it.

And then I thought, what the heck, while I'm here I might as well pick up . . .

For myself. From there it was only a brief slide to . . .

Also for myself. Then I also grabbed onto . . .


Also for myself. Can I help it if one of my very favorite poets has a new book out? I definitely believe in voting with my wallet when I get the chance.

And then, since I was already entangled in a full-fledged book binge . . .

Why not include a cheery calendar?

Or two? For the desk at work . . .

Because nothing cheers me up in the morning like a cute cat photo, when I've stayed up way too late, reading.

4 comments:

  1. Books, makes everyone happy!

    Sounds like you've got some very good reading ahead of you.

    Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such joy! I'm with you about Nooks and Kindles. I need the feel of the paper, the smell of the page, the sound of the turning, all of it.

    Thank you SO much for bringing my attention to the correct title of Bukowski's poetry volume! Obviously I did not investigate and trusted Keillor, though lately I am trusting the accuracy there less and less. I feel so grateful for the poems, bios and history that I won't stop getting the newsletter, but it is a shame that someone isn't more careful, especially Keillor himself, seeing it is a literary periodical. I will change my poem title momentarily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mean if you're going to have one Fagles translation, might as well have two. They go together! Your purchases are perfectly reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a great shopping trip. A bookstore can be a very dangerous place, especially with a coupon!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.