Monday, July 12, 2010

"Remodeling" Hardly Covers It

I drive by this house fairly frequently, and I was heartbroken when I noticed it was being demolished the other day. Having grown up in an old Spanish-style house, I have a weakness for others of its kind. I kept thinking, with pangs of sadness, about its beautiful old windows and gracious lines, and imagining the destruction of the tile floors, wide moldings and glass doorknobs that must have been inside.

Despite its proximity to a rather busy road (check out the guardrail and the sharp turn warning apparatus practically in the front yard), this house sits on the outer edge of a very nice neighborhood with a great location. I figured it was an elderly teardown that was being sacrificed to make way for some hideous McMansion, which is all people seem to want around here these days.

But on a later visit, I noticed something intriguing, so I detoured from my usual route to take a better look. It is possible that they saved what they could and will build around it, and recreate what couldn't be saved? Can it be that they are in love with those beautiful old windows and the soul of this house, just as I would be?

It sure looks that way to me. I think what I see is a new footer going into the ground, and the beginnings of corner pillars that match the corners that are still standing. I wish I knew more about construction!

4 comments:

  1. It sure looks that way to me, too! Wouldn't that be a wonderful ending to the story? No, wait. It's a new story beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be so cool. There is an old antebellum home in our town (See Whitehaven in the book) that we used to drive by when I was a kid. I was thrilled when it was saved and repurposed as a welcome station for travelers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to be a downer, but I saw this same thing happen to a house I used to loooooove, and when they rebuilt it they made it the ugliest damn thing you ever saw. It was nothing like the old house had been; it was just on the same spot and using some of the same foundations.

    In less pessimistic commenting, whenever we saw houses that looked like that second picture when I was a kid, my mother would tell us the Big Bad Wolf must have blown them down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are going to have to post about this one from time to time as well....it looks quite promising at this point anyway. Lovely too.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.