Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Disconnected

Discombobulated. Dissatisfied. Disgusted. But recovering.

I spent the entire holiday weekend without the internet, thanks to my attempt to set up a wireless connection.

Of course, the store person told me it was easy, which is the kiss of death. It's the computer equivalent of someone who gives you directions and wraps them up with "You can't miss it." When I hear that, I know I will be spending a lot of time driving around in circles.

Anyway, right off the bat, the installation CD started asking me questions I didn't even understand. "The wizard has detected that you already have a gazingus. Do you want to replace your gazingus or install the new gazingus in line with it?"

You know, a few seconds ago I didn't even know I had a gazingus. Now I have to decide if I want to keep it, and how that might affect my new gazingus. And, if I already have one, where did it come from and why can't I use it to get a wireless connection?

(Not to mention, if this guy is such a wizard, why doesn't he know what I want to do? Or at least make a recommendation?)

Later in the process I discovered that tech support costs money these days. Welcome to the new normal. It also cost me about 90 minutes on the phone with some guy who sounded like he was in Australia (he definitely had that distinctive "Aus-TRYL-ya" A sound). Even though he sounded a bit like Crocodile Dundee, he didn't fix my problem. His solution was that I had bought a bad gazingus and I should take it back to the store and get another one.

It was kind of nice not having the internet over the weekend, in a way. I got a lot of house stuff done, including moving three bookshelves from the office into the dining room. The dining room now needs additional artwork but looks more like a real room and less like a campsite. The office still looks like an afterthought, but it's really no worse than before.

And the new gazingus? With C.S.'s encouragement, I gave it another try last night and installed it in about 5 minutes. Mostly by ignoring 80% of the steps suggested by the wizard. So there.

8 comments:

  1. I have the same problem with the wifi, almost, I could set it up, I still haven't been able to lock it. All the instructions speak a clever version of non-English. Gizimbas and a million other things I've never ever heard of all linked together by grammatically indecipherable mixings of randomly sprinkled words.

    ARGH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so terrible at IT stuff. Luckily, my 23 year old is my personal tech, or I would be in a world of trouble. Glad you got things all sorted out.

    word verification: mecries (how apropos)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I hate doing anything new to the computer or fixing a lost signal with satellite TV. I had to call Dish Network Monday night because we couldn't get a signal on one of our TV's. It made me long for the days when it was as simple as turning on the set and rotating the knob between the three available channels.

    If it makes you feel any better, your experience sounds very similar to mine when I installedo our wireless router.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I was reading your post I kept thinking, "The wizard is not your friend!" Looks like you realized that. I'd been setting up wifi networks without benefit of wizards for years, and the first time I encountered one with an actual "installation" I was like...wut? Do I actually need that? The answer is usually no.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh poor you! I hate those damn wizards when you're trying to set something up on your computer! They're horrible, and being without internet is horrible, and it's particularly horrible when you know that if you could just figure out this ONE THING, you'd be back online. Blech.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the support, y'all. I'm still reeling from the fact that I managed to set it all up by ignoring the "helpful" installation instructions. Thank goodness I still had some common sense on hand! So far, so good, still.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa.. that sucks!! I get irritated when I have tech problems, and most of my problems happen during weekends as well, when no one can help you. Ugh! Glad you got it fixed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes indeed, Aths, and it seems to be working fine now. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.