Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Random Thoughts and Updates

My census came! After whetting my appetite with a warning letter, the census people disappointed me with the bareness of information they wanted. Practically every answer was a number: how many people, age, birthdate, etc. No questions that required any thought whatsoever. Boring. With this kind of information, it's no wonder my government has a tendency to spew money in all directions without solving any problems.

I'm one of those people who believes there is always an answer (and often, many answers!) beyond "Yes" and "No." This is why I am miserable at True/False quizzes and not so hot with the Multiple Choicers, either.

The census people sent me a follow-up postcard, too, reminding me rather menacingly that "Your response to the U.S. Census Bureau is required by law." Not sure how effective this would have been if I'd already thrown the census away, but I'm going to stop worrying about all that now. I mailed it yesterday, so there.

Speaking of money, I have to pay in on my taxes this year. Phooey. I'd much rather get money back, even though I understand why that's a bad idea. It just seems more sporting for them to write me a check, rather than vice versa.

Signs of spring abound these days. Strawberries are in season and I am eating them by the bowlful. I may have to make a shortcake this weekend, just to make it official. The azaleas are blooming and baby squirrels, fresh from the nest, are everywhere. This afternoon I was surprised to see a young male cardinal flying around the parking lot when I returned from lunch. Usually they stick to the bushes, but this guy made several passes while I was hiking in from the distant lot where I'd parked my car. As I got closer to him, I noticed he was spending a lot of time perched on the side mirror of a particular car. Apparently he'd spotted a handsome male trespasser, right there in the mirror, and was doing his best to drive him away. All bluster and no brain.

And speaking of that, why does my mind have a vast area dedicated to useless trivia, but allot only the darkest corners to things that might actually be useful? Thus I can effortlessly enter a discussion about a catapult competition by inquiring "Was the Yankee Siege there?" but determining how many faculty mailboxes there are at my school requires way too many seconds of slow calculation to decide that 14 x 4 is the same as 7 x 8.

Isn't it?

4 comments:

  1. My census came, too. Thanks for reminding me to fill it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No census for me, but I too am munching tons of strawberries. Super yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was completely disappointed in how little information they wanted! I was excited to give them loads of information and then read analyses of the data in a year's time. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Census. Taxes. Spring. Strawberries. Cardinals. Husbands. Trivia. H-m-m-m. I think I've found someone who skitters through more subjects on a post than I do...
    As a retired teacher, I was always amazed at how the standardized testing people could "grade" my students from a piece of paper with little round circles darkened in with a #2 pencil.
    When will our public schools ever figure out that standardized testing is a money making business and there are better ways to "grade" our children.
    Sorry. Didn't mean to use your comment section as a soap box...especially on my first visit.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.