Friday, February 12, 2010

Truck Day, Etc.

(photo credit)

It's Truck Day in the Red Sox Nation, of which I am a member by birth. I was a Boston fan back when rooting for the Sox was like rooting for the hero in a Greek tragedy: no matter how well things were going, it was only a matter of time before the misery showed up. Even so, baseball--specifically the fortunes of the Red Sox--was and is my greatest bond with my father.

Now baseball is a strong bond with C.S., too. After all, we met at a baseball game, and our first words to each other involved how he came by the awesome scorebook he was using. With Valentine's Day right around the corner (is it a coincidence that Spring Training opens right around February 14th each year? I think not), let me go on the record as saying I'm really glad we met and that we have baseball, as well as books, in common.

And so Earth begins to turn back toward the sun. Things start to grow again after the long pause and hidden work of winter. The breeze lightens, the weather warms, and the next thing you know, somewhere nearby you can hear the distinctive sounds of batting practice and games of catch.

Time to start checking the schedules, reserving some days off from work, and pondering what kind of sunscreen to buy this year. Ah, spring!

3 comments:

  1. Sweet. I'm going to HAVE to make it to a game this summer. Simply have to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this post and the promise for winter to end - well that is enough to make me smile :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.