Monday, January 4, 2010

Decades 2010 Challenge

'Tis the season for joining challenges. I always find a few that I simply can't resist.

This year I am hoping to clear out the TBR shelves just a bit, and the Decades 2010 Challenge fits right in with that desire (thanks, Michelle!). I only had to order a few books from PaperbackSwap.com to fill this one out. They are all classics that I will be pleased to add to my repertoire.

Here are the guidelines:

1. Read a minimum of 10 books in 10 consecutive decades in 2010.

2. Books published in the 2000’s do not count.

3. Titles may be cross-posted with any other challenge.

4. You may change your list at any time.

5. Short of ideas? Book lists and reviews from previous years are here. Books don't have to be on the list to qualify. Check out other possibilities here or here.

6. Sign up here to join this challenge. Then you can post your links to reviews and check out what other participants are reading.

Like any challenge, this takes a little housekeeping to keep everything straight, but it's a great way to motivate my reading and give it some structure.

My list is:

1990's: Abandoned: Underworld - Don DeLillo (1997) Added: Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha - Roddy Doyle (1993)

1980's: The House of the Spirits - Isabel Allende (1982)

1970's: Pilgrim at Tinker Creek - Annie Dillard (1974)

1960's: Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Heinlein (1961)

1950's: Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury (1953)

1940's: Native Son - Richard Wright (1940)

1930's: The Good Earth - Pearl S. Buck (1931)

1920's: Death Comes for the Archbishop - Willa Cather (1927)

1910's: Howards End - E.M. Forster (1910)

1900's: The House of Mirth - Edith Wharton (1905)

3 comments:

  1. I tried the Pearl S Buck, but just couldn't get on with it....let me know what you think. Maybe I should give it another go, but....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll let you know, when I get to it, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great challenge! So up my alley too, since it would let me read a lot of my favorite mid-century stuff.

    I've read all of your choices except for the Heinlein. Underworld wasn't for me, but I'm interested to know your take.

    I don't remember the Allende book so much, but now that I read Hornby's Polysyllabic Spree, I don't feel guilty about that.

    I want to like Dillard, but Pilgrim had a lot of bugs in it. It's grown on me, though, since I read it.

    Loved Fahrenheit 451, glad I read Native Son, but it was heavy sledding. I think Good Earth must have been amazing when it came out, but seems less exotic now.

    Archbishop is one of my all-time favorites. And the Forster and Wharton are fantastic.

    You are going to have fun. I am looking forward to your reviews.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.