Thursday, January 14, 2010

Counting My Blessings and Reaching Out

I'll sleep indoors tonight, in a safe bed, after a decent meal, with the Princess for company, and all my friends and family members are healthy and accounted for. So many people can't say even these simple things tonight. Especially in Haiti.

Patrick Farrell of The Miami Herald won the 2009 Pulitzer Prize for his pictures of the devastating hurricanes and flooding in Haiti last year, truly a year without mercy. And that was long before the earthquake. How much misery can one country, one people withstand?

My boss was in Port-au-Prince last month on a week-long humanitarian trip. Now her tour guide is among the missing.

I heard on NPR that most charitable donations are made during the first 6 days after an event. As the news cycle revolves and other stories develop, attention wanders and people forget. I suppose we have to turn to other things or the grief of the world would be overwhelming. Meanwhile, the Herald is doing a marvellous job of keeping us informed, when we can bear to look.

But tonight I'm feeling that my personal cares and worries are pretty meaningless compared to the troubles of others. Haiti is very much on my mind and my heart. And I'm feeling the urge to help if I can.

If you feel that impulse, now's the time. It's as cheap and easy as texting. In fact, it is texting. If you text "Haiti" to "90999" a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.

A small thing, but it's a start.

5 comments:

  1. Amen sister. My problems? nothing compared to what's going on over there. A friend send a notice that Visa and Amex are donating their credit card fees to the cause, so 100% of your donation really goes to the source, not 97%. I hadn't thought of it til she told me (which was too late for me, except I used Visa!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having 'lived' in some of the places that have hit CNN breaking news, at the time, (plague in India, terrorists targeting Germans in Turkey, bombings and civil war in Sri Lanka) I am often shocked by how fast we move on to 'the next news story'.

    Life goes on... but our hearts break just a little bit more each time we do it.

    Word Verification today (sorry, but it was too good to pass up): rephi -- A lizard with the hiccups.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is way way way too easy! How fantastic that they are doing that!

    my word is tedriza, this would be godzilla as a tetris head....I too couldn't pass it up, especially after Lynda's reptilian hiccups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know this texting donation trick. Very nice of you to post. Prayers for Haiti

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your support, y'all. They are setting new fundraising records with this easy, impulse-oriented campaign, and I think Haiti will need every dime. Keep those prayers and good thoughts out there, too.

    My verificiation word is "axprop" so I guess I am in the interrogation and propaganda business now?

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.