Friday, August 21, 2009

Playing the Sympathy Card

I'll see your spline finger and raise you a bruised toe.

On my way to becoming a fragile old lady (not to reach full effect for another 40 years or so, I hope), I tripped over my dumbbells yesterday morning and managed to whang the bejezus out of the 4th toe on my right foot. Yet more evidence that exercise is bad for you.

It actually doesn't hurt very much, although the first few moments were quite spectacular.

After the cartoon stars and the bad language subsided, the bruising and swelling set in. Very disappointingly (for me), I have not been able to get a decent photograph of the discolored toe and top of my foot. If you want pictures, just call up some Google images for "broken toe." (Warning: if you think some people have really ugly feet, this will prove it. And don't even think about the philosophical implications of there being approximately 1,850,000 results for this Google search.)

I spent yesterday limping through airports and sitting in meetings accompanied by a separate chair and an ice bag for my foot. Today promises more of the same gimping around. But, hey, at least I get to wear flip flops at work!

2 comments:

  1. "It actually doesn't hurt very much, although the first few moments were quite spectacular."--I love that description! Sorry about the toe, but any excuse that allows you to wear flip flops to work can't be all bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch!! You poor thing. I cracked a bone in my foot once. My whole foot turned black and there was nothing I could do, except way off of it. Hope it heals up soon!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.