Sunday, August 30, 2009

Christmas in August


I finally broke down, heeded J.G.'s advice and signed up at http://www.paperbackswap.com/, which enables people to exchange books they no longer want. The result: the book I received in the mail today, at virtually no cost whatsoever, was a near mint, hardback first printing of Lost in the City, the first book published by Edward P. Jones. Jones won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 2004 with The Known World, which was also a finalist for the National Book Award for fiction.

Lost is somewhat rare and goes for anywhere from $100 to $300 on abebooks, so I was very, very pleased. I am now awaiting the arrival of another scarce book, Joyce Carol Oates' A Garden of Earthly Delights, again, at practically no cost to me. To belong, all I had to do was list 10 books of mine that I no longer wanted. If another member decides they want one of my books, my only obligation is to mail it along for the cost of postage -- usually less than $2.

In other words, Paperbackswap is a Bargain with a capital B!

J.G. and I may disagree on Thomas Pynchon. But we agree on this: Paperbackswap is a winner.

3 comments:

  1. I am jealous.

    I tried bookmooch and it wore me out. I could never find books I wanted, but no one seemed to want me books either. So instead of cleaning out my old books, they sat there. I finally gave them to my friends and ditched bookmooch.

    Maybe I should try again with paperbackswap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hula, the wallet feels no pain with this program.

    Rose, if this was even remotely time-consuming, I wouldn't do it. Only good things to say for it so far.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.