Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Tires Plus

Knowing C.S. and I have a mini-vacation planned, I've been getting a lot done at home: laundry, picture-hanging, and whatnot. That plan was going to take effect at work, as well. I intended to clear the decks by wrapping up a handful of half-finished projects.

However, I'm here to tell you: I think I'm in control of my life, but I couldn't be more wrong. I walked out the door find a nice flat tire on the car, which meant I wasn't going anywhere. So I had to attend two phone conferences from home. And I had to get AAA involved. And then limp off to the tire place on the donut tire and wait semi-patiently for the tire to be plugged. All before actually appearing at the office. So much for that early start I had in mind.

On the other hand, there were a number of positives in the day.

I discovered you can read Proust in the waiting room of the tire place.

The AAA service person went the extra mile by putting my tire into a plastic bag before she loaded it into the trunk, so it wouldn't get the trunk dirty.

I didn't need a new tire, after all, and my road hazard warranty covered the repair.

Thanks to the t.v. at the tire place, I had a chance to catch up on what's going on in Iran. I heard a young woman explain that what's happening means Iranian men are seeing Iranian women quite differently, now that they are standing shoulder to shoulder with them in the demonstrations, facing down the militia. She used the word "lionesses" to describe the women demonstrators. What a beautiful word for female courage.

Kind of puts the flat tire in perspective.

1 comment:

  1. Indeed. The world has been a crazy place this week.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.