Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I Hope I'm Not the Last Person to Discover This


Cage-free eggs from the Co-op come in technicolor! The farm that supplies them has a mixed flock of about 35 Rhode Island Reds, Arucanas, Buff Orpingtons and Barred Rocks. Aren't they just lovely? They taste wonderful, too.

I never really thought much about chickens before. My dream of a place in New Hampshire includes a comfortable farmhouse, a rustic barn, an old stone wall, a pond, a dog or two, a passel of cats, and maybe a few retired racehorses for good measure. Ducks were always an option. Now I think I can see chickens in that picture.

Boy, I hope C.S. knows what he's in for.

3 comments:

  1. These remind me of my parent's chicken and duck eggs. They get them in shades of blue, khaki, brown and cream. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are pretty, aren't they? I never knew what I was missing, buying my eggs from the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband wants a Rhode Island Red rooster. Never mind that we live in a subdivision. We have friends that raise chickens and give us fresh eggs sometimes. They are so much better than those in the supermarket.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.