Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Orange Prize for Fiction (Read and TBR)

I read the Orange Prize* winners, as well as the Bookers. The Orange Prize for Fiction is given to "the woman who, in the opinion of the judges, has written the best, eligible full-length novel in English." Trust me, figuring out what novels are eligible is a bit complex. But once they figure out the winner, I'm there.

This prize isn't as well-known as some of the others, but trust me, there are some gems among the winners here. Blue means they're on my TBR shelf. Green means I am still on the lookout for them. As with the Bookers, I wouldn't mind having a hardback collection of these, so I'm tracking that, too.

*A/k/a The Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction, the Women's Prize for Fiction (2013), the Orange Prize for Fiction (1996–2006 & 2009–12), and the Orange Broadband Prize for Fiction (2007–2008). Talk about a checkered history!

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Half of a Yellow Sun (2007)
Naomi Alderman, The Power (2017)
Suzanne Berne, A Crime in the Neighborhood (1999)
Helen Dunmore, A Spell of Winter (1996)
Linda Grant, When I Lived in Modern Times (2000)
Kate Grenville, The Idea of Perfection (2001)
A.M. Homes, May We Be Forgiven (2013) (PB)
Barbara Kingsolver, The Lacuna (2010)
Andrea Levy, Small Island (2004)
Valerie Martin, Property (2003)
Eimear McBride, A Girl Is a Half-formed Thing (2014)
Lisa McInerney, The Glorious Heresies (2016)
Anne Michaels, Fugitive Pieces (1997)
Madeline Miller, The Song of Achilles (2012)
Tea Obreht, The Tiger's Wife (2011) 
Ann Patchett, Bel Canto (2002)
Marilynne Robinson, Home (2009) (HB)
Carol Shields, Larry's Party (1998)
Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin (2005) (HB)
Ali Smith, How to be Both (2015) (HB)
Zadie Smith, On Beauty (2006) (HB)
Rose Tremain, The Road Home (2008) (HB)

5 comments:

  1. I have Half of an Yellow Sun, (in paperback) and it is GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exciting..a whole list of great books I've never touched. Thanks for the list! So many choices, so little time....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oreneta, thanks for the heads up. I am definitely on the hunt for it.

    Hula, one of the reasons I like list reading is that a lot of the weeding out is already done. They really are the best of the best. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added the link to your Orange post on my Orange list page. Thanks for leaving a comment with a link so I knew you didn't mind if I linked to you.

    You've made good progress. And you have a lot of them in HB already. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking, Rose. This list kind of takes a back seat to the Bookers, but it's easier to make progress on. I usually like the books, too!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.