Wednesday, March 18, 2009

My Day Was So . . . Linear

When I took a break from an avalanche of e-mails to do a little blog surfing, the next thing I knew I'd been pulled right into the intriguing pathways of the internet.

First I found out about another challenge, the Colorful Reading Challenge over at Lost in Books. Now, I need more books to read like I need more shoes (not strictly necessary, but always a nice indulgence), but motivation via deadline is always a plus. Who was it that said if there were no deadlines, nothing would ever be finished? Somebody famous, I'm sure. And because this challenge doesn't end until 12/31/09, I have plenty of time to zoom through these babies after I knock off the Themed Reading Challenge.

The Colorful Reading Challenge requires 9 books with 9 different colors in the title. The required colors are blue, red, white, black, silver, and gold. The other 3 are your choice. Selections can overlap with other challenges, and at least 6 of the books should be new to you (I guess this means no re-reads).

I thought of the books for white, black, and yellow right away (thanks to the To Be Read stack) and then the hunt was on! The hardest part? I'm a major book snob. I'm not willing to read just any old book with a colorful title. For me, it's classics or future classics, or books by known authors, which usually means prize-winners, or at least books that have received outstanding reviews and accolades.

Not so easy, then, to do the color thing with a relatively limited supply. And of course, I wanted them to sound like I would want to read them, too. There were a few candidates that didn't make the cut, simply because they didn't sound interesting to me. Yes, I know: picky, picky.

I spent quite a bit of time using the advanced searches on PaperbackSwap and ABE, developing the names of candidates, and then Googling them to read reviews beyond what Amazon had to say. I wandered far afield, click by click getting farther and farther away from my original page. Isn't the internet great for such wandering?

During that process, I found this terrific blog, Seven Impossible Things Before Breakfast, and a fantastic review that convinced me I'd discovered my "silver" book. I also found this wonderful picture, courtesy of Treehugger.


Note to self: when you want info on a book called The White Tiger, it helps to include the word "novel" in your Google search.

Or not.

2 comments:

  1. Now I have to debate whether I want to go and do that google search or not....

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you like real white tigers, there are plenty of photos out there on the Google frontier!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.