Thursday, February 19, 2009

Writer's Block, Red Velvet Cake and "Dream Off"

That's it. I've had it. I woke up early to another dream this morning and couldn't fall back asleep, about the fourth or fifth day in a row it's happened.

(DREAM WARNING: You are about to read about someone else's dream. Feel free to skip) This time I was writing "on deadline," something I do on an almost daily basis in real life, and couldn't think of a word to say. Writer's block is not an option in my business, so the dream was especially tense. Compounding the problem: I was being distracted from my work by my favorite dessert, red velvet cake. Someone had set out a tray of red velvet cupcakes in the pressbox and, as the zero hour approached, I could not stop eating them. That's how the dream ended. The story never got finished.

I don't know if it's the standing around in the sun monitoring spring training baseball, or being out of town and sleeping in a new bed, but the dreaming is starting to drive me crazy. Sometimes I am being awakened by two or three dreams a night, and not all of them are the kind you want to wake up from. Let me just leave it at that. Still, I need my sleep. I had a glass of wine last night, hoping that would help. I mentioned to J.G. that someone needs to develop a dream preventer. I even came up with a name: Dream Off. Spray it on or take it orally. Market it using the classic Aerosmith hit, "Dream On." Just change a few words. But I need to find something.

Any other suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. No coffee or tea at all, seriously, no naps after 11am, and blandish non-greasy non-spicey food. Plus a copy of War and Peace, or a manual for rebuilding a 1974 marine diesel...

    good luck

    I hate sleeplessness (there are too many esses in these words)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.