Saturday, January 31, 2009

Toast to a Volcano


Have you heard the latest rumblings out of Alaska? Redoubt volcano is stirring and you can check it out here. If and when she blows, I plan to raise a toast using a "koozie," those insulated sleeves used to keep beer cold (thanks to J.G. for telling me what they're called).

I obtained mine a couple of summers ago while in Alaska writing about the annual Midnight Sun baseball game. That's the one that, due to the long hours of sunlight up in those parts that time of year, starts at 10:30 p.m. on the summer solstice, goes past midnight, and is played without benefit of artificial lighting.

While interviewing a few fans tailgating in the parking lot before the 2006 renewal, one gave me a parting gift -- a koozie with the Alaska Volcano Observatory inscription and logo. It's the only koozie I own. The AVO is the group that's keeping an eye on Redoubt. So I'll tip one on their behalf when Redoubt erupts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me! I love external validation.