Friday, June 27, 2008

The 15-Minute Birthday

Last night at 11:00, I read a few pages of Ulysses. In terms of my recent life, this is Big News!

The pace is really picking up in bar prep and it's all about the multiple choice practice questions now. But yesterday was my birthday (not a milestone one--that's next year!) and I figured, what the heck? So after I finished my assignment, I popped a giant indulgent bowl of popcorn with butter and salt, and spent 15 glorious minutes on the couch with Stephen Dedalus.

Joyce's style is . . . shall we say opaque? Sometimes I'm not terribly sure what's happening, or even what the subject matter is. But you know what? I don't have to be. What a pleasure it is to read along, secure in the knowledge that there won't be any questions when I get to the end of the paragraph!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me! I love external validation.