I'm still thinking about doing a "year in review" (hopefully in January while it's still fresh, but one never knows). In the meantime, I can confidently say that taking up horseback riding again was the year's highlight.
I rode as a kid and was interested in one thing -- horses! -- from, as my mother told me, "the moment you knew what one was." In elementary school I remember my teachers begging me to write larger (I had miniscule handwriting) and write about something besides horses. After a childhood spent at the barn every day, I quit riding in my teens, after a serious injury put my horse on stall rest for about 6 months, giving me time to develop a life that wasn't centered on riding and competition.
I took it up again in my late twenties, and kept on with it for a few years. It was lovely for a while, as my then-husband enthusiastically took up the sport, too. When that marriage became shaky, financial pressure forced me to give up riding again while I figured out how to support myself as a single person, something I'd never really done.
In my late forties I rode a little, volunteered with a horse rescue, and volunteered a lot with the U.S. Pony Club, a wonderful organization that educated me into a horseman, not just a rider, when I was a child. Riding is just one of the skills you need to be around horses and do them justice: there's also caring for the horse, veterinary knowledge, use and care of the equipment, proper feeding, safety, property management, and a jillion other things you should know. I remembered the "old ladies" who ran the Pony Club when I was a teen (they seemed ancient to me, then!) and embraced my chance to be one of them. I had some great experiences with my feet on the ground rather than in the stirrups, and enjoyed mentoring the next generation of horsewomen.
Now I'm in my sixties (how did that happen?) and in 2023 I decided that since kayaking is on the wane as a pastime, I'd try riding again. It's a challenge to recover old skills that grew rusty with time and to develop the particular mix of strength and suppleness that good riding requires.
What hasn't been difficult -- thank goodness! -- has been finding "my people" again. Thanks to volunteering with Pony Club, I still have contacts in the horse world locally. A friend suggested a barn, I already knew the owner/coach, and it was obvious from the first day that I'd found where I wanted to be. It's been a delight to meet new folks who share my passion, and to find a horse to ride who forgives my mistakes while I revive my dormant skills. Pony Club now accepts adult members, so I have joined again. Work has been very understanding about giving me a flexible schedule, making riding time possible. And the peacefulness that comes from being around horses defies description. If you know, you know.
This photo shows a glimpse of the evening turnout process. The horses go out all night to graze and play, which is healthy for them and works well with the heat during our Florida summers. As the sun drops low and the light softens, these two are following the hay wagon to their pasture, snacking all the way.
If I did nothing else of note in 2023, taking up riding again would be enough to make it a very good year.

Absolutely wonderful post. I loved hearing your life with horses. I have also always loved them. I rode just a little bit when I was a child. I went to horse shows and envied all those girls who rode. When we bought our farm, one of the first things we did was buy a horse. He was a quarter horse, and the dearest boy. We set up a little ring on the law and the kids would ride a bit. But mostly, he was simply our friend. We loved him so very much. When he died, Tom said he could not ever go through that again.
ReplyDeleteIs there a vet shortage down there? It seems to be nationwide- both for small and large animals. I would say it is at a crisis point.
Thank you, Nan! It's so good to hear from you! You must have loved having your sweet horse's company, right on your own farm I bet he was very happy with you and the kids. Horses are such a delight to just be around. Their presence is wonderful all by itself, as you know, even without any riding.
DeleteWe seem to have plenty of equine vets, but I do hear from them how hard it is to make a living without driving themselves into the ground. The economics of it don't really work, unless you grow into or join a huge practice (which some of them do -- there are lots of horses here). And I know the emotional and financial pressure on all vets is enormous. They do it for love and it takes a huge toll. I wish I knew the solution. They do so much for us and the animals we love.