Here's where you can follow your progress toward those dreaded reading goals. (Review the rules for this challenge here. Note that sign-ups closed March 1, 2020.)
If you're determined to move some of those perpetually looming books off your reading lists this year, you've come to the right place!
Here's how it works: Let me know your progress in the comments on this post as the year goes on, including a review link or some comments about the book. When you knock those books off your TBR list, you'll get a sweetener in the mail as your reward--in case having them in your literary rear view mirror isn't enough!
Carolyn at Riedel Fascination (sign-up) (sweeteners: books) Completed (reviews)
1. The Weed That Strings The Hangman’s Bag - Alan Bradley
2. Monk’s Hood - Ellis Peters
3. Sleight Of Paw - Sofie Kelly
Neer at A Hot Cup of Pleasure (sign-up in comments here) (sweeteners: TBA)

I have updated both of my participation posts. I have read 1/3 of "Dread & Read" books, with two more lined up. I have so far finished 5 "Birth Year" books. Sweetener choices have been made on my post. Please e-mail me about what you locate, so I know what to cross off my list, long before mail appearing in the spring.
ReplyDeleteWordpress has let me into the website for the first time in a couple of months! We hope our dial-up days are over shortly, via a somewhat faster local ISP. Please note that I am direrting friends and contacts to "RiedelFascination(at)Gmail(dot)com", from the Prairie e-mail address.
Dear Jane
ReplyDeleteTrust you are well. it has been a strange year. And dreaded books seem all the more challenging. So I have changed the three books that I had selected to One: Under the shadow of the Gallows by Gulab Singh. A book that has been on my TBR since 2002. Secondly, I have finished seven in the Birth Year Challenge but have reviewed only two. Would soon review the rest. Wishing you a Merry X'Mas and much-needed good cheer.
Dear Jane
ReplyDeleteTrust you are well. it has been a strange year. And dreaded books seem all the more challenging. So I have changed the three books that I had selected to One: Under the shadow of the Gallows by Gulab Singh. A book that has been on my TBR since 2002. Secondly, I have finished seven in the Birth Year Challenge but have reviewed only two. Would soon review the rest. Wishing you a Merry X'Mas and much-needed good cheer.
I finished this challenge and in the case of 2/3 books, it was a challenge. All of the details including before and after feedback, are at my blog. I am doing very well in the birth year theme too and might receive one more 2011 book in the mail before year's end. :)
ReplyDelete"The Weed That Strings The Hangman's Bag" Alan Bradly, 2010 was far better than his début of a famous Canadian youth character. When Manitoba stores reopen and avail us of more than essential supplies, I would buy the third novel second-hand to continue up to the two other hardcovers I own.
"Monk's Hood" Ellis Peters, 1980 dragged for the first half but got good. Edith Pargeter, real name, created memorable terciary characters yet again, with whom Brother Cadfael will surely maintain ties in succeeding mysteries.
"Sleight Of Paw" Sofie Kelly, 2011 was a chore all the way through. I shudder wondering if there is any chance Darlene "Sofie" improved, in the two or three further other sequels that I own, brand new.
The details are at my blog where I need of far more comments than I receive. Wordpress is connecting again at slow speed, so that I can write there and use my site more. I will finish reviews when I have time. Goodreads review links are already there as place-savers.
Dear Jane
ReplyDeleteI have completed the challenge. As I told you in an earlier mail, i had changed my books. instead of the three selected, I planned to do only one: The Shadow of the Gallows by Gulab Singh. i read that but then I also read one of the original three: Hind Swaraj by M.K. Gandhi. here are the reviews of both:
https://ahotcupofpleasureagain.wordpress.com/2020/12/29/three-non-fictional-reads/
This is my favourite challenge and I hope you bring it back for 2021 too. A very happy new year to you.
Thank you, Carolyn and Neer! Updates are made at last and the wrap-up post will appear soon. Thank you so much for making this challenge go for another year!
ReplyDelete