Monday, January 20, 2020

Birth Year Reading Challenge 2020 - Progress & Reviews


Welcome! This is where we track the sign-ups and the candles for the 2020 version of the Birth Year Reading Challenge. (Review the rules here.) It's going to be fun!

Please keep me updated on how you're doing (reviews and reactions would be nice, even if just 1-2 sentences). I'll post your progress and light your candles as quickly as possible.

Note: Sign-ups closed March 1, 2020.  

Bev
of My Reader's Block (sign-up: 1947) (6 candles) Completed
1. Silver Wings for Vicki - Helen Wells (review)
2. Chinese Nightmare - Hugh Pentecost (review)
3. By Hook or by Crook - Anthony Gilbert (review)
4. The Whispering Death - Roy Vickers (review) 
5. The Clue of the Runaway Blonde/The Clue of the Hungry Horse - Erle Stanley Gardner (review)
6. Vicki Finds the Answer - Helen Wells (review)

Carolyn of Riedel Fascination (sign-up: 2011) (9 candles) Completed
1. From Warsaw to Winnipeg: A Tale of Two Cities - Stefan A. Carter (review)
2. Ghosts of the Titanic - Julie Lawson (review)
3. Stories I Only Tell My Friends - Rob Lowe (review)
4. The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern (review)
5. A Trick of the Light - Louise Penny (review)
6. Thank You Notes - Jimmy Fallon (review)
7. Sleight of Paw - Sofie Kelly (review)
8. The Cat, the Lady, and the Liar - Leann Sweeney (review)
9. The Haunting - Alan Titchmarsh (review)

Jamie Ghione of Whatever I Think Of! (sign-up: 1971) (3 candles) Completed
1. Go Ask Alice - Anonymous
2. The Planet of Junior Brown - Virginia Hamilton
3. Then Again, Maybe I Won't - Judy Blume

Neer of A Hot Cup of Pleasure (sign-up in comments here: 1940) (11 candles) Completed
1. Aunt Beardie - Joseph Shearing (review)
2. A Scream in Soho - John Brandon (review)
3. You'll be Surprised - Peter Cheyney (review)
4. The Grassleyes Mystery - E.P. Oppenheim (review)
5. Sweet Poison - Rupert Penny (review)
6. The Dogs and the Wolves - Irene N (review)
7. Deadly Nightshade - Elizabeth Daly (review)
8. Miss Hargreaves - Frank Baker (review)
9. The 24th Horse - Hugh Pentecost (review)
10. They Don't Dance Much - James Ross (review)
11. The Man Who Could Not Shudder - John Dickson Carr (review) 

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Off to a good start, Bev! This sounds like an enjoyable book and I really like your first line/last line idea. It definitely gives the flavor of the book.

      Delete
  2. Finally got another candle! Chinese Nightmare by Hugh Pentecost

    ReplyDelete
  3. I met my goal. Because of the shutdown, I wasn't able to find anything from my birth year until May, but I got three as I wanted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats, Jamie! Your candles are alight (at last)! If you have reviews I can link to, I'll be happy to do that.

      Delete
  4. Here's my third--going with the U.S. first published date: By Hook or by Crook by Anthony Gilbert

    ReplyDelete
  5. and another: The Whispering Death by Roy Vickers [1947= 1st Us publication date]

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have updated both of my participation posts and hope to have comments and visits on each of them; now that Wordpress has deigned to let me in for the first time in a couple of months! Our slow speed internet may be at an end and I am diverting friends and contacts to Gmail, as discussed on your "Dread & Read" progress page.

    I choose my niece's birth year 2011 and have already finished 5 eligible books! I have 8 books on-hand at home, 7 of which I am game to read soon, as my chatty post says. The province of Manitoba is shut to all but essential goods, just before my birthday two weeks ago. Books, films, and CDs can easily be bought by mail. However, the wisdom of building of our library in the thousands, is a bountifuil asset more than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. #5 (3 & 4 listed in comments above--but not updated with candles yet) The Clue of the Runaway Blonde/The Clue of the Hungry Horse by Erle Stanley Gardner

    ReplyDelete
  8. Candle #6 Vicki Finds the Answer by Helen Wells

    And that completes my self-imposed challenge to do at least six this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Jane
    Trust you are well. Here are the candles burning bright for Papa:

    Aunt Beardie by Joseph Shearing
    A Scream in Soho by John Brandon
    You'll be Surprised by Peter Cheyney
    The Grassleyes Mystery by E.P. Oppenheim
    Sweet poison by Rupert Penny

    All reviewed here: https://ahotcupofpleasureagain.wordpress.com/2020/12/30/five-mysteries-of-1940/

    Then:
    The Dogs and the Wolves by Irene N
    https://ahotcupofpleasureagain.wordpress.com/2020/12/16/in-translation-three-novels/

    And
    Deadly Nightshade by Elizabeth Daly
    https://ahotcupofpleasureagain.wordpress.com/2020/12/11/short-notes-deadly-nightshade-by-elizabeth-daly-1940/

    As also:
    Miss Hargreaves by Frank Baker https://ahotcupofpleasureagain.wordpress.com/2020/12/28/but-a-thought-miss-hargreaves-by-frank-baker-1940/

    And
    The 24th Horse by Hugh Pentecost
    They Don't Dance Much by James Ross

    Both reviewed here: https://ahotcupofpleasureagain.wordpress.com/2020/08/31/books-of-1940-the-24th-horse-and-they-dont-dance-much/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy new year 2021! I am amazed to be finishing with 9 books of 2011. They are all listed at this blog post, with reviews or place-saver links to them. I hope people visit them because my reading has comprised a great variety. There is humour, two instances of real history, and tragic fiction told sensitively. Not least is the bestselling Erin Morgenstern, who cannot be categorized as mystery, fantasy, paranormal, romance.... She defies a label by being all about wondrous atmosphere and unexpectedly new storytelling.

    Here is to my dear Mom, this last year of life with her. Your friend, Carolyn. https://cmriedel.wordpress.com/2020/01/20/birth-year-reading-of-2020/

    ReplyDelete
  11. And another candle for Papa: The Man who could not shudder by John Dickson Carr.

    https://ahotcupofpleasureagain.wordpress.com/2020/12/30/last-read-of-2020-the-man-who-could-not-shudder-by-john-dickson-carr-1940/

    Eleven candles burning bright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on being the winner this year and in honour of your Dad's big milestone! Carolyn.

      Delete

Talk to me! I love external validation.