It's baaaaack! After being resurrected in 2017, the Birth Year Reading Challenge returns, raring to go for another year.
What makes this challenge different from the others out there? In a word: PRIZES! Here at the Hotchpot Cafe, everybody wins.
Special thanks to Steven Depolo for permission to use his photo!
BIRTH YEAR READING CHALLENGE
What books were published the year you were born? This challenge encourages you to find out, and then read some of them. You might even draw some conclusions about what was going on in the literary world that year.
Wikipedia and GoodReads.com have lists of books by year published. Literary prize lists are a great source, and searching “best books of ______” will also give you interesting results. (Feel free to comment and suggest other sources!)
Ready to join? Leave a comment and/or a link to your post, with your reading list. I promise no snarky comments will be made about your age.
1. Join anytime before March 1, 2018. (Edit: This challenge is now closed.) The challenge ends at midnight EST on December 31, 2018.
2. If you're a prior participant in the BYRC and have already mined out the books from your birth year, you may substitute the birth year of a close family member as your year of choice. One year per participant per challenge, please.
3. Books may come from your TBR pile or list, but they don’t have to.
4. Overlaps with other challenges are allowed and encouraged.
5. Change your book list at any time.
6. Reviews and reactions are encouraged, but you don’t need to have a blog to participate.
7. All genres and formats are eligible. If it’s a book, it counts. But for the book to count toward the Grand Prize and the Barnburner Prize, it must be 100 or more pages long.
8. One candle is awarded for each qualifying book you read. There is no limit on how few or how many candles you can earn.
9. Candles will be tracked at a “Progress & Reviews page” in the sidebar.
10. After you sign up, tell your friends! A sign-up post on your own blog would be very nice. Feel free to borrow the button for display on your blog, also.
When you meet your reading goal, you can select a book from my library–most likely an ex-library hardcover or a gently used trade paperback (a list will be provided)–and I’ll mail it to you. But keep reading because . . .
On January 1, 2019, the three readers who’ve earned the most candles will be entered into a drawing to win a $25 gift card from Amazon. You can be the kid in the candy store, and I can be the parent who foots the bill!
The reader with the most candles on January 1, 2019, will receive a special customized prize package tailored to their reading interests.
Are you in? Welcome! Please sign up by leaving a message in the comments, with your reading list or link.