Hear ye, hear ye, the Birth Year Reading Challenge returns from its hiatus, ready to rock your reading world in 2017!
What makes this challenge different from the others out there? In a word: PRIZES! Here at the Hotchpot Cafe, everybody wins.
Special thanks to Steven Depolo for permission to use his photo (again)!
BIRTH YEAR READING CHALLENGE
Wikipedia and GoodReads.com have lists of books by year published. Literary prize lists are a great source, and Googling “best books of ______” will also give you interesting results. (Feel free to comment and suggest other sources!)
Ready to join? Leave a comment and/or a link to your post, with your reading list. I promise no snarky comments will be made about your age.
RULES
1. Join anytime before March 1, 2017. The challenge ends at midnight EST on December 31, 2017.
2. If you're a prior participant in the BYRC and have already mined out the books from your birth year, you may substitute the birth year of a close family member as your year of choice. One year per participant per challenge, please.
3. Books may come from your TBR pile or list, but they don’t have to.
4. Overlaps with other challenges are allowed and encouraged.
5. Change your book list at any time.
6. Reviews and reactions are encouraged, but you don’t need to have a blog to participate.
7. All genres and formats are eligible. If it’s a book, it counts. But for the book to count toward the Grand Prize and the Barnburner Prize, it must be 100 or more pages long.
8. One candle is awarded for each qualifying book you read. There is no limit on how few or how many candles you can earn.
9. Candles will be tracked at a “headquarters page” in the sidebar.
10. After you sign up, tell your friends! A sign-up post on your own blog would be very nice. Feel free to borrow the button for display on your blog, also.
PRIZES
GRAND PRIZE
On January 1, 2018, the three readers who’ve earned the most candles will be entered into a drawing to win a $25 gift card from Amazon. You can be the kid in the candy store, and I can be the parent who foots the bill!
BARNBURNER PRIZE
The reader with the most candles on January 1, 2018, will receive a special customized prize package tailored to their reading interests.
Are you in? Welcome! Please sign up by leaving a message in the comments, with your reading list or link.

I can't do a sign-up post, Jane, but I will join in to read at least one book - and I'll blog about that one (or more) later in the year. :-)
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome, Debbie! Welcome! Feel free to just use the comments if it's easier for you.
DeleteMay I use my husband's birth year? I've mined my own fairly well.
ReplyDeleteYes, if you need to, go ahead. I think I'll amend the rules to allow that--good idea!
DeleteThanks for letting me know about this! I am in!! I'll do a post soon about it. This is really fun, and I know from listing the publication dates of my books that I have rarely, if ever, read a book published in my birth year. Maybe they weren't publishing books that long ago hahahaha!
ReplyDeleteHere's my sign up post. Thanks again!
ReplyDeletehttp://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/2017/01/birth-year-reading-challenge-2017.html
ReplyDeleteYay! So glad you are in, Nan, and thanks for the gracious sign-up post. Also glad you found some books published in your year (wink, wink)! Three is a nice number.
DeleteYay! I've been waiting for this to go live. I'll be back with a sign-up post soon!
ReplyDeleteAnd...Here we go. My Sign-Up
ReplyDeleteWelcome, Bev! And what a varied list you've assembled--you were born in a great year! Thanks for the nice post, too; it's an honor that the BYRC was one of your first challenges.
DeleteDefinitely want to join will post about it this weekend. Will be back with sign up post!
ReplyDeleteExcellent! Looking forward to seeing what you pick out!
DeleteSounds interesting I'll join.
ReplyDeleteHi, Rebecca! I'm looking forward to seeing what you pick out.
DeleteI'd like to join as well
ReplyDeleteGreat! Choose some books and let me know!
DeleteHello, I came to this blog and reading challenge via Letters from a Hill Farm. I'd like to join the challenge but am unclear on how to do that exactly. Just the comment suffices? Do I need to tell you my goal (5 from my birth year)? Thanks.
ReplyDeleteHi, Tina, and welcome! You can make a post about your list if you have a blog (like Nan did), or just leave a comment here, listing the books from your birth year that you're planning to read. Either way works!
DeleteI don't have a blog, so here goes my list:
DeleteTalented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith
Quiet American by Graham Greene
Village School by Miss Read
Village Diary by Miss Read
Death in Berlin by M M Kaye
Onions in the Stew by Betty MacDonald
Less Than Angels by Barbara Pym
Looks like some good reading ahead, Tina! I've included you on the progress page now. Please comment as needed to report your reading progress. And welcome!
DeleteHi
ReplyDeleteThanks for letting me know of this. Like Bev, I too have waited for it to comeback. Now, I don't remember whether I read books from my birth-year for this challenge or not, so can I just choose a family member's birth-year?
So glad you're back, Neer! Yes, go ahead and choose another birth year if you need to (see Rule 2).
DeleteCelebrating the birth year of my adorable aunt. Here's the sign-up post:
Deletehttp://inkquilletc.blogspot.in/2017/01/reading-challenge-birth-year-2017.html
Thanks once again for making this active again. Excited about the books.
I'm willing to try this one again! Here's my post
ReplyDeleteHooray! Glad to see you back for more!
DeleteMy sign up post.
ReplyDeleteI had a quick question regarding the counting of books aka the 'candles.' I read that books have to be 100 pages to count for the grandprize or the barnburner. So does that mean if I list any picture books I'd automatically be discounted? Or just have a candle (or two) subtracted but still be eligible? I doubt this will be an actual issue. Just curious! I wanted to read the Caldecott Honor/Winner of 1979 which were published in 1978.
ReplyDeleteHi, Becky - I linked your post on the progress page, so you're all set.
DeleteTo answer your question about picture books: those candles will count toward your personal prize, but not toward the Grand or Barnburner prizes (although you're still eligible for those).
I've amended the rules to make that more clear (I hope). Let me know if you have other questions, and thanks for joining the BYRC!
I don't have a blog, but here's my list (books are from 1996):
ReplyDeleteThe Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood
Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
Drown by Junot Diaz
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
Airframe by Michael Crichton
Welcome, Sahar! Great titles here! I've included you in the progress page and I hope you'll share your reactions in the comments there as you finish your books. Thanks for joining the BYRC!
DeleteHi I'll be doing this challenge this year. I hAve already started with listening to 'The Never-ending Story' which was published in 1979
ReplyDeleteHi, Pamela! Glad you're doing the challenge! Please let me know when you post your reading list (if you have a blog) or share your list in the comments. I bet 1979 was a great reading year.
DeleteMy sign up post is here
ReplyDeletehttp://completepoppycock.blogspot.com/2017/01/birth-year-reading-challenge.html
Thanks
Hi, Becca - Got it! Thanks for joining and I hope you enjoy the books you've chosen. What a variety you have!
DeleteHere's my sign up post, now to go find books from '84
ReplyDeleteWelcome, Sarah! I've added your name. Just let me know when you choose your books, either in a blog post (if you have one) or in the comments. Good luck with your search through 1984!
DeleteHere's a sign up post by a 13 year old teenager
ReplyDeleteWelcome, Sejal! I've added you to the list. Let me know when you've chosen your books, okay?
DeleteHi, I love this challenge idea so much! I've been looking through the 'books published in 1990' list on Wiki and it's really interesting to see what's on there.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, my sign up post is here (:
Hi, James! Glad you like this challenge - and I'm sure you will, with the variety of books on your list! You're all signed up.
DeleteHello three, I would like to join in but as my blog is about children’s books, I’m going to stick with those I hope that is OK. This is my first post http://marchhousebookscom.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/birth-year-reading-challenge-2017-part.html
ReplyDeleteThanks for joining in, Barbara! I've added you to the list of participants.
DeleteJust to clarify: you won't be eligible for the Grand Prize or the Barnburner Prize because your chosen books are so short, but they'll still qualify for a regular prize - and you'll have fun along the way, I hope!
P.S. Alternatively, set me straight if any of them are 100 pages or more! I realize I don't actually know their length - oops, spoke too soon. :-)
DeleteHello J.G, I'm pretty sure lots of them are more than 100 pages - well the three I already have certainly are, but I can’t say about the others until I find them. I don’t mind at all about the prizes I just wanted to join in because it looks like a lot of fun. Besides I’m bending the rules, so I really don’t expect to win anything I’m just happy you are willing to accept my submission. It could take me months (years!) to find all the books on my list but as and when I do I will do an update post. Thanks again for the challenge; you have given me lots to think about. Barbara.
DeleteOkay, I'll be tracking everything you read and report, and please let me know which books are 100 pages or more. I'm glad you're flexible, because the mail point is to enjoy the search and visit an earlier time!
DeleteHm! Other than having a 100-page rule, this theme is easier than I thought. A prize choice automatically for meeting our goal? Well, I want to be fair and not just blaze through the two I mentioned at my blog. I'll trust I can find a third in our wonderful home library but hope to read many more.
ReplyDeleteI hope I have tempted you to "Gentle Spectrums" as well as "Ethereal 2017" with the colours you are already doing. :-) It makes sense to record them where I have prizes too! While I find that third book, here is my post! Yours sincerely, Carolyn. https://cmriedel.wordpress.com/2017/02/10/carolyns-birth-year-reading/
Welcome, Carolyn! Three is a nice easy number and we are all about "do-able" with this challenge. I'm so happy you've decided to join in!
DeleteLooking forward to hearing your answer about challenge overlaps with Gentle Spectrums, in another comment I've made. :-)
First Candle! Spice Island Mystery by Betty Cavanna
ReplyDeleteYay! You're on your way with your first candle shining brightly.
DeleteI would like to join! Birth year:1991
ReplyDeleteWould you like us to add books as we go? or do you prefer a list of books we plan to read ahead of time? Thanks!
Hi, Andrea! Welcome to the BYRC! Most people pick a list to start with, but you can add books as you go if you prefer that method.
DeleteI myself prefer having a goal to aim for, but I understand some people like keeping things flexible. Just let me know what you decide so I can note it appropriately, okay?
Thanks! I think I will just add as I go then. Look forward to reading with everyone!
ReplyDeleteIt's working nicely for you so far . . . :-)
Delete