Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Mount TBR Reading Challenge: Wrap Up


Distracted by scenery. That's my problem.

This clever challenge is hosted by the prolific Bev at My Reader's Block. She gets the most out of the mountaineering theme, with categories that range from Pike's Peak (12 books) to Mount Olympus on Mars (150 books or more). In a fit of enthusiasm (by which I mean hubris) last June, I said I would read 24 books from my TBR "mountain" before December 31. But it didn't work out that way.

So here I am standing pat on the 8.5 books I read for the Color Coded Reading Challenge, plus 4 additional books I "officially" read for this challenge. That means I only made it halfway up the mountain . . . except I actually read more books than that this year, I just didn't count them. Sometimes I wanted a break from reading with reviewing in mind, or the book wasn't serious enough to warrant a review, or the book wasn't from the TBR pile and therefore didn't qualify for the challenge. These little detours combined to produce a single result: I didn't make it to the top.

I sure did some good reading, though! Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies were far and away the best of the lot. I can hardly wait to pick up the final book in the series, whenever it comes out. You'd think after 1,000 pages I'd have had enough, but quite the opposite is true.

Overall I read 48 books in 2016, and during the challenge period I read 24. I covered the ground, more or less, it just wasn't in a direct path to the summit! So if you see someone waving from the top of Mont Blanc, it's not me. But if you see someone strolling knee-deep in clover on the edge of a little woods with a babbling stream running through it, you've found me--right where I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me! I love external validation.