Weekdays Are Quick Meals, Time-Life Books. Comfort food with modern twists and common ingredients, taking 30 minutes or less to prepare. I don't cook full meals all that often, but I sure love reading about it! And when the mood strikes, having references readily at hand is a good thing. (Paperback, $1.50.)
The Consolations of Philosophy, Alain de Botton. A near-fine first edition of a book that draws lightly on the foundational philosophers to address common psychological challenges, such as how Socrates can help us cope with unpopularity and how Seneca addresses frustration. In the kind of serendipity I just adore, the author's previous book was called How Proust Can Change Your Life, and I'm reading and thoroughly enjoying Proust for the first time right now. What a sublime coincidence! (Hardback, first edition, $3.00. Abe.com suggests this book is worth $15.00-$24.00, a nice plus.)
It intrigued me because there was no publication information whatsoever, except "The Book League of America, New York." No date, no copyright info, nothing.
Even more motivating was the horrible thought that such a handsome classic might be discarded if it didn't go home with me. You can guess what happened next. (Hardback, no dust jacket, $3.00. Abe.com reveals it's probably worth $7.00 or so, not that I'll ever part with it.)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Talk to me! I love external validation.