Friday, May 15, 2009

Blurting It Out

Juliet over at Profoundly Inarticulate is anything but. She recently won a one-minute writing contest with an amusing childhood memory, and her nicely crafted, very concise reflection reminded me of a couple of funny things I was mistaken about, way back when.

I felt foolish at the time, but I'm over it now.

My mother never allowed me to watch "The Guiding Light" or any similar t.v. shows, at least until I was a teenager and could be a little more critical about what I was seeing. Her rationale was that she didn't want me to think life was really like that. For a long time, all I knew was that if I was changing the channels and found a soap opera, she would say "Oh, that's a soap opera, turn that off!" I learned the words by hearing them, and I thought those shows were called "so poppers." Finally I said the words out loud to someone, who set me straight.

I also learned a lot of words by reading. As long as I could figure out the meaning from the context, I never looked them up, or worried too much about how they were pronounced. (Now I read with a dictionary handy and fill in any blanks as I go.) Once, when my high school friends and I were playing some kind of a quiz game, the question asked for the word that means an author's pen name. I knew that one, but only by approximation. What did I say? "Psuedonym," pronounced "suede-o-nim," not "pseudonym." I guess I thought the author was keeping their identity kind of fuzzy? Yeah, I got some grief for that one, too.

Maybe you have some, too, you'd like to share?

2 comments:

  1. Euthanasia, as in "Youth in Asia"

    but why were they dying?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking me! Having been an avid reader all my life, I've had similar pronunciation issues. I think this must be very common among bookish types. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.