Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Sentence Intermission



I am presently reminded of a sign that hung inside the newsroom of a paper I once worked for. It read: "The period is the noblest of punctuation marks."

I thought of it just now after surfacing for air from reading Frog, as I am on page 708 and have not seen hide nor hair of a period since 696. That's right. The past 12 pages have been one long, labyrinthine sentence containing oodles of dashes, quotation marks, colons, semicolons and even the occasional question mark -- but not one damn, sentence-ending period.

Uncle!

5 comments:

  1. Are there people who've actually read this? Life is short...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading every last word of every last National Book Award winner and finalist for fiction -- no exceptions. I've derived great pleasure from it. This particular movel, not so much. (P.S. -- I finally hit a period and the end of the sentence, though, after 14 pages!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must have been written in Spanish originally. My goodness they can write a long sentence if they care to. I counted three pages once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Intermission?? lol, sounds like a case of the run-ies, run on sentences! I know ...joke in such poor taste. whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was definitely not Spanish, oreneta, but I'm not sure I would call it English, either. Not the way I was taught. And, yes, SSQuo, I think it would be accurate to say that the novel was one, long run-on something. But I have just now finished it, and it's on to the next.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.