Monday, January 12, 2009

"I Can't Believe It, I Never Win Anything!"

Not true, for today at least. Rose City Reader has favored us with the Premios Dardo Award. She was also kind enough to explain in her presentation post what this is a picture of. I confess I didn't quite get it. What are those letters and words going into/coming out of? Ancient camera? Toy cannon? Post-modern tea kettle? Ah, a typewriter in profile, and apparently missing its side panel, too.

Anyway, back to the point: we are walking around lucky! Plus, I was inspired by the need to pass this award on and have now learned how to make links in a post. Desperation is a powerful motivator, indeed.

And so, without further ado . . . . The Premios Dardo Award "acknowledges the values that every blogger shows in his or her effort to transmit cultural, ethical, literary, and personal values every day."

The rules to follow are:

1) Accept the award, post it on your blog together with the name of the person who granted the award and his or her blog link; and

2) Pass the award to 15 other blogs that are worthy of this acknowledgment.

(Remember to contact the bloggers to let them know they have been chosen for this award.)

Now, let me say at this point that as a rule I do not participate in chain letters and think most e-mail "forwards" are a total waste of time. Yes, I'm kind of a crank about that stuff. Given these tendencies, I feel a bit guilty (not to mention hypocritical) about passing on to 15 other bloggers what I suspect is the internet version of the chain letter.

On the other hand, isn't it nice to be recognized? Please take it as a compliment! Scads of lurkers are coming your way because your blogs are wonderful!

ArtSpark Theater
Got Medieval
Two Dog Pond
Knits with Carrots
Growing Older But Not Up
Orneta Aground
Life in a Suitcase
A Misty Midnight's Avalanche of Tornadic Madness
Mary's View
Profoundly Inarticulate
Bloggedy Blog Blog
Bluestalking
Bookstack
My Life in Books
Lemonlight

13 comments:

  1. Hey JG, thanks for coming by my blog! What a great way to de-lurk, an award! What a great lot of books you have on your site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JG, thanks so much for the award, and for stopping in to say Hello!

    And what a great blog name you have:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and then granting me an award! I've never received an award like this before. "I'd like to thank my Reese and Rumple for their constant inspiration..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! What a nice surprise. I'm glad you enjoy my ramblings. Did my mother send you over? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, thanks for coming by my blog. Since I am an obsessive person who looks at my site meter, I know you spent some time looking around. However, I value your stopping and commenting more than the award...I don't really do awards or memes, I like to link out to other bloggers, but usually in the context of the post. It's partly some rebellious teenager that is lingering, I'm sure, but there it is. Hope to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am afraid I must be like ArtSparker, curmudgeonly. Last time I was like you, felt guilty and hypocritical about participating and giving some of my favorite bloggers a "chain letter." I seriously appreciate the award, though. And even more so, I appreciate your delurking and visiting my site! I will definitely be adding you to my blogroll.

    Oh, and PS--I love your themed challenge ideas, which you can see is dangerous territory for me lately. Especially the "Charred Ancients" and "Ensemble Casts" categories. They may find a good home someday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the compliment! That's a really cute award, and you definitely deserve it.

    I totally understand the resistance to participating in these things. I'm at least as cranky as you when it comes to forwards and chain letters. Recently, I even turned down a dear friend's offer to include me in a book exchange because the whole thing was designed as a pyramid scheme chain letter (send one book, get 20 back kind of deal). (For the record, this friend recently told me she got exactly zero books out of the deal. No surprise to me.)

    Anyway, enough ramblings. Congrats and thanks again for including me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for being a good sport! And I am glad I'm not the only one who couldn't understand the picture.

    I confess that I also view these as "chain letters" and feel more than a little guilty about passing them on. My original post headline said, "Tag, You're It" -- but I decided that such a snarky attitude was contrary to the spirit in which the "award" was offered. (Although I can't stop myself from putting "award" in quotation marks -- time to sign off.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Y'all are the BEST. Anyone who will play along with this tagging/chainletter/pyramid scheme stuff--knowing it for what it is and still cheerfully taking part--is definitely someone I want to know.

    Oreneta, lots of books and far fewer reviews are the story of my life. I'll catch up one of these days.

    RavenousReader, glad you like the name. C.S. and I figured we needed something to reflect the semi-legal, mishmash, coffee & conversation feel we were aiming for.

    Two Dog Pond, I am seriously obsessed with your Name That Necklace contest. I guess I should DQ myself because this award was given during the contest. :-( It sure has been fun, though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hula, your mom had nothing to do with it! I just decided to bestow the award where it was deserved. Enjoy!

    ArtSparker, all I can say is oops, my lurking cover is blown by your spy vs. spy technology. Hang onto that rebellious streak; it'll serve you well.

    Nicole, feel free to take over any of those lists, anytime. I can't use them all and fear having to save them til next year. If you pick one, please let me know (post) what books you fill the category with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Juliet, who knew??? A pyramid scheme that actually WORKS! At least this one has an opt out, and apparently no consequences if you choose not to accept it. Not even hard feelings.

    Was your friend supposed to get 20 random books? Hm. I'd rather choose than be flooded with unknowns.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rose City, the one who started it all! All joking aside, I'm grateful for the excuse and motivation to de-lurk on blogs I like. I doubt many real prizes have succeeded as well as this "award" (you've got just the right touch of irony, there).

    Not to mention I now know what the picture is! I'd seen it on various blogs before and never had a clue.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you very much :) I'm sorry it took me so long to reply. I thought I had days ago! I'm losing my mind obviously.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.