Wednesday, April 9, 2025

It's the Little Things

Sometimes the easy, small things set the tone for a day -- and turn out not to be so small for the others affected. 

Sunday morning I volunteered at a horse event that required a dark start and a bit of a drive. Just as dawn was breaking, my headlights fell upon a mama possum who was carrying a passel of babies on her back as she was crossing the road. She was right in the middle of my traffic lane, headed for the shoulder, and because I was paying attention, it was no trouble to slow way down and let her finish her trek safely. 

I'm sure the guy behind me was puzzled (or something - ha!) about my nearly stopping for no apparent reason. Fortunately, he was paying attention, too, and came to an easy halt behind me. 

Mama Possum headed off into the bushes and I was so glad to do my part for her and her little family. I felt happy all day, and I'm still feeling it. A little thing for me, maybe, but huge for her and those cute babies. May they live long and always cross safely! 

And may I always remember that a little kindness can go a long way. 

       Source: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me! I love external validation.