Wednesday, January 8, 2025

Mount TBR Reading Challenge 2024 - My Wrap-Up


I chose wisely this year, electing to attempt Pike's Peak, the smallest mountain: 12 books. I have failed to summit Mont Blanc (24 books) in previous years, so I learned my lesson. It's hard for me to avoid being distracted by new books on a regular basis. What can I say? I like to zigzag.

This is my 8th year in this challenge (I skipped 2017 for some reason) and I enjoy it very much It's good motivation to make progress on my various prize lists and stay on task -- mostly.

Here's how it went this year:

1. The Stone Diaries - Carol Shields (Pulitzer Prize)
2. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay - Michael Chabon (Pulitzer Prize) 
3. The Vaster Wilds - Lauren Groff (Florida Book Award)
4. Half Wild - Robin MacArthur 
5. Please Look After Mom - Kyung-Sook Shin (Asian Literary Prize)
6. The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho 
7. The Night Watchman - Louise Erdrich (Pulitzer Prize)
8. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Junot Diaz (Pulitzer Prize)
9. Milkman - Anna Burns (Booker Prize)
10. Let Us Descend - Jesmyn Ward 
11. Pocketful of Poseys - Thomas Reed (Florida Book Award) 
12. March - Geraldine Brooks

Reviews are posted here or you can find them under the Reviews tab.   

There's a very satisfying variety here. And there are 4 Pulitzer winners, a Booker winner, an Asian Literary Prize winner, and 2 Florida Book Award medalists -- not bad progress on my reading lists -- and even those that aren't prize winners were well worth my time and effort. All in all, a very successful year.

I also must say that I read 24 books this year and that tempts me to set my sights on Mont Blanc in 2025. We shall see! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me! I love external validation.