My time at the cabin was lovely, but I am happy to be home again. I like my house enough (and the cats!) that I miss them when I'm away. And with at least two nights of fireworks in the offing (the city did theirs on the 3rd and then the amateurs took over for the 4th), I wanted to be home.
My fireworks protocol is to bring the outside gentleman cat into the bathroom for the duration of the evening, close all the blinds, and play "spa music" to muffle the noises. When things get really loud, I distribute treats to everyone. No matter how startled they are, they gobble up the treats and I hope that gives the noises a positive association -- or at least provides a few minutes in which the cats have something else to think about!
Fortunately, the noise and smoke didn't seem as awful this year as in years past. Old-school fireworks celebrations are still hard on veterans, wildlife, pets, sensitive humans, and people who dislike pollution. I've seen pictures of drone displays that are more impressive and quieter. Perhaps that's the wave of the future and it would be okay by me!
Here are a few highlights from the cabin. Hiking, strolling, reading, canoeing, socializing, and plenty of good food were the order of each day.




No comments:
Post a Comment
Talk to me! I love external validation.