I say it only takes doing something ONCE for it to become a habit, when that thing is something indulgent and possibly bad for you. Like stopping for gelati every time I drive by the ice cream store.
I say it's easy to leave old habits behind when there are better alternatives. It's surprisingly easy to change my patterns, with a new location.
I live closer to the ballpark now, and since summer baseball has begun, I've been there a lot. (Last night, for example. When a huge zot of lightning was accompanied by a nearly simultaneous, extremely loud clap of thunder, I suddenly became highly aware that I was sitting on a metal seat under a metal canopy. Next thing I knew I was at home on the couch. Wow, that was fast.)
I'm also a whole lot closer to yoga now, making it ridiculously easy to swing by there at various morning and evening hours.
I'm a lot farther away from fast food. As a result, I've been eating at home more often, which translates into less fat and more salads.
All this self-improvement makes me sound virtuous, right? Don't be fooled. I'm as lazy as ever. It's just that I don't have to go out of my way now for the good stuff. Instead, the good stuff is delightfully nearby.
And the gelati store is no longer on the way home.
Ain't it wonderful being a lazy creature of habit sometimes? We just have to set up our environment so it feeds the right habits, no?
ReplyDelete