Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day, Dad


My dad is the one standing on the left with his hand to his mouth, eating a candy bar. These guys were pretty hungry. When this picture was taken, he and his fellow Marines were being transported out of a jungle on Guadalcanal, where they had been holed up for 17 days straight in monsoon weather. Dad said he never took off his boots and his feet developed jungle rot. He also came down with malaria. My dad and his unit also fought in battles on Peleliu and Cape Gloucester. If you happened to catch "The Pacific" episodes that recently aired on HBO, the series depicted my dad's outfit, the First Marine Division.

Dad, who was 19 at the time, said some of the other Marines in the picture didn't make it home. He was one of the lucky ones who did. Otherwise I wouldn't be here today.

Happy Father's Day, Dad.

3 comments:

  1. Your post teared me up! I'm so glad your dad could make it back! Happy Father's day to him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even after all these years, it's hard to see these old pictures of men making do under conditions most of us can't imagine. But what a wonderful picture to have in your collection. Thanks for sharing it today.

    Malcolm

    ReplyDelete
  3. It overwhelms me, what he suffered, what people have suffered through history, especially in war. It''s extraordinary to have the photograph.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.