Saturday, November 21, 2009

Unintended Consequences

The Mosquito Incident had a happy side effect. I remembered a song I hadn't thought about in many years. Thanks to the wonders of the internet, I discovered it's a Girl Scout song and probably a lot of people know it. Really? Lots of people know "Oh I Wish I Was a Little Bar of Soap"? It just doesn't come up in everyday conversation.

But remembering it and trying out a few verses in the shower did a lot for my mood.

I was never a Girl Scout and I suspect I learned this song somewhere besides sleep-away camp, if only because the version I know includes a verse about "Oh I wish I was a little glass of beer." And I only know the soap, mosquito and aforementioned glass of beer verses. In other words, the vaguely risque verses.

Somehow I think my dad taught me this song. Not that he learned it at Girl Scout camp, either.

Just another family mystery.

If you're interested in the apparently endless verses, here are some.

1 comment:

  1. It is amazing the weird songs that tool around in the back of our heads....and crop up at the strangest times.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.