Monday, June 8, 2009

What Does This Mean???

Yesterday at the grocery store, I saw these signs:



I confess I'm flummoxed about this apparently quite urgent message. Any ideas what is being communicated here?

The use of the word "bluff" reminds me of one of my favorite lines from one of my favorite t.v. series ever, "Northern Exposure." In an episode about the founding of the town of Cicely, Alaska, all the regular characters appeared in roles in a frontier-style drama. Chris, who in modern times was a Harley-riding d.j. and always good for a philosophical turn, appeared as a gun-slinging but thoughtful roughneck and had occasion to deliver a great line: "Are you bluffing me? I hate it when people bluff me. It makes me question my perception of reality."

All I can say is, when your canned tuna loses touch with reality, no telling what might happen next.

6 comments:

  1. I have not a clue what that sign means. I don't like it when my grocery shopping gets complicated.

    Sigh. I miss Northern Exposure. I really miss Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it means anything. I think the person who wrote the message meant to use another word. Either that or it's some sort of Candid Camera stunt designed to produce reactions from unsuspecting shoppers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually looked around for the Candid Camera folks, but nary a one in sight.

    I think I'm going to have to call the store and just ask them. (That should be some conversation!)

    Meanwhile, Hula, I'm with you. Chris is wonderful, even though Adam is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have to ask, if only to tell the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No idea what it means! I keep thinking people pretend to take it to the checkstand, only to leave it behind. LOL

    Northern Exposure is one of my favorite shows too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just don't try to pull one over on the sardines!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.