Sunday, March 8, 2009

Flowering Tree

I made a special detour today to check out one of my favorite parts of town and was richly rewarded. This is a tabebuia, also known as a trumpet tree.


My gardening books are lukewarm about it, apparently because of its irregular shape and relatively weak wood. I'm guessing these books were written by people who believe in beating a landscape into submission with power tools, and abhor plants that prefer growing in a natural way and dropping a few branches now and then. (There's a lot of that attitude going around, here in the Sunshine State.)


I have only enthusiasm for this little beauty, which is blooming its little heart out right next to the street, with only a trash can and some cars for company. Was it just an afterthought in the landscaping plan?

As you can see, it has lots of flowers (and a few airplants) but hardly any leaves right now, which explains the incredible concentration of color. Trust me, it has lots of happy bees, too.

Isn't it just the prettiest thing?


6 comments:

  1. Yes honestly,that is gorgeous. Lovely indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tagged you two if one of you wants to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi JG, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I am reassured you get nervous too before meetings.

    That tree is beautifu. I wish we had them here in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It think that's a stunning tree. I love anything that blooms yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oreneta, thanks! We'll play along soon.

    Nice to see you here, Michelle! Glad you enjoyed it.

    Hi, Hullaballoo. I had meeting angst just yesterday, in fact. (Turned out okay, though.) You have palm trees in Bournemouth, I hear, so maybe you are just a bit far north?

    Hula, tabebuia's come in purple and white, too, although the yellow is the most common (and my favorite).

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.