Friday, June 23, 2017

Lists Upon Lists

I stumbled upon this interesting list of "future classics" and scanned it with interest. Is it just a sales pitch from Barnes and Noble? Or a clever way to spark conversations about what makes a classic and how one would recognize it in a contemporary novel that has not yet stood the test of time (one definition of a classic)?  Or maybe a little of both?

I'm proud to say that I've read quite a few of these--15, to be exact--and 9 more are on my TBR list. Thank you, list reading! You've really paid off by making sure I'm reading excellent books.

Life of Pi. Cloud Atlas. The True History of the Kelly Gang. Well chosen.

But also: A Brief History of Seven Killings. The Sellout. Even Bel Canto. Ummm, not so much.

Still, it's great fun to be nudged into adding just a few more books to the TBR list. And that's a classic experience, for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me! I love external validation.