The nice folks at World Book Night have asked me to submit suggestions for next year's books. What a fun question to think about!
I had a great time being a book giver and hope to do it again next year, maybe with a group of other givers. My book was Fahrenheit 451 and I loved every minute of the giving experience.
Here's the list of last year's books: 2013 World Book Night selections. Some really good titles here!
Here are the basic requirements for what makes a good World Book Night book:
- Accessible books of high quality.
- Both recently published books and established classics.
- Books available in paperback.
- Any genre of book—fiction, mysteries, romance, sci fi and fantasy, classics, poetry, humor, autobiography, and young adult books.
- The list overall must have gender, ethnic, and geographical balance.
Now I'm giving this some careful thought. What's a classic of modern literature that might hook non-readers and light readers into the joys of reading?