Birth Year Reading Challenge 2012 - Honors
What books were published the year you were born, or the birth year of someone special to you? This challenge encourages you to find out, and then read some of them. You might even draw a few conclusions about social and literary trends that year. If nothing else, you'll have an incentive to explore books you might otherwise not have considered.
Wikipedia has lists of books by year published. You can also check literary prize lists for high-quality choices. Using Google to locate “best books of _____” also provides some interesting choices. There is also a cool feature at BibliOZ where you can check the New York Times bestseller list for the week you were born. (Special thanks to 3m at 1morechapter for pointing this out.)
If you already participated in this challenge, or if you discover you were born in a year of unattractive books, the Honors option gives you the chance to sample another year instead. So read on!
Ready to join? Leave a comment and a link to your post, and I'll sign you right up.
Click here to see who is participating and how they are doing so far.
1. Join anytime between now and November 30, 2012. The challenge ends at midnight EST on January 31, 2013.
2. b. Choose someone you want to honor, then choose books from their birth year. Your sign-up post should include who they are (not necessarily by name) and the reason you want to honor them.
3. Books may come from your TBR pile or list, but they don’t have to.
5. Change your list at any time.
7. All genres and formats are eligible. If it’s a book, you can count it.
8. One candle is awarded for each qualifying book you read. There is no limit on how few or how many candles you can earn.
GRAND PRIZEOn February 1, 2013, the three readers who’ve earned the most candles will be entered into a drawing for a $25.00 gift card from Barnes & Noble. Nothing like a little no-cost book shopping to start a new year off right!