Monday, June 7, 2010

Book Lust

C.S. is in Philadelphia and, naturally, that means he's hitting the bookstores in that area. One sign he's a serious bibliophile: he doesn't need a car to get around . . . except he rented one so he could get a few miles north of the city, where the best bookstore is located. Mission accomplished, he returned the car a few short hours later.

He did, however, resist buying me a very scarce title for my Booker collection: Newby's Something to Answer For. This is one of the quest books on my list, one I've never even seen. Even with the money he saved on the rental car, $300 was just too steep, even for a perfect copy.

Of course, I do have a birthday coming up . . . . I'd be willing to give up my Christmas present, too. At that price, I might have to! Isn't that just way too much money to pay for a book?

2 comments:

  1. If that's how much it costs to get a copy of that book in that condition, and if you love the book deeply with all your heart, then I say go for it. It wouldn't be worth it to me if it were only to fill a gap in a collection, but for a book I loved, I'd do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot judge. I paid $150 for Jimmy Buffett concert tickets. At least with a book you get to keep it for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.