Friday, February 5, 2010

Battle of the Prizes - British Version

'Tis the season for joining challenges and I'm feeling pretty darn ambitious this year. What the heck? Why not? "Double up and keep going," that's my motto when it comes to reading.

Next up, the Battle of the Prizes - British version, hosted by Rose City Reader. She likes to pit winners against winners, which is a fun and interesting approach.


Here we go with the Man Booker Prize winners vs. the James Tait Black Prize winners:

Does one prize have higher standards than the other? Pick better winners? Provide more reading entertainment or educational value? Maybe challenge participants will be able to answer these and more questions – maybe they will simply read three or four great books!

OPTION ONE: Choose three books that you have not read before:

1) One that won both the Booker and the James Tait Black prizes (list of double dippers here);

2) One that won the Booker but not the James Tait Black (list of Booker winners here); and

3) One that won the James Tait Black but not the Booker (List of James Tait Black winners here).

OPTION TWO: For those who have already read all three of the double-dippers, or otherwise do not want to read one of those three, pick two Booker winners and two James Tait Black winners for a total of four books.

More specific rules about doubling up, changing your list, etc. are here.

I can double these up with some other challenges, so of course I'm all count me in. My choices are:

1. Winner of both prizes: Last Orders by Graham Swift

2. Winner of the Booker: Staying On by Paul Scott

3. Winner of the James Tait Black: Personality by Andrew O'Hagan

I'll be finished with joining challenges one of these days. Meanwhile, let the clash of empires begin!

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic! I added your link to the list of participants.

    I really liked Last Orders -- it snuck up on me. I haven't read the other two, so I am looking forward to your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm happy to be in, and looking forward to branching out a little bit.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.