Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Battle of the Prizes - American Version

Last one. I mean it! (Maybe.)

Rose City Reader doesn't know when to quit, either. She has an American Battle of the Prizes going, too. Same idea as the British version, but different continent, different prizes, and different books. This challenge is Pulitzer winners vs. National Book Award winners with one book from each category, plus one that won both, for a total of three books. Ever so doable!

All the details are here, so check it out.

My choices for this one are:

1. Pulitzer winner: The Optimist's Daughter by Eudora Welty

2. National Book Award winner: Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann

3. The Collected Stories of Katherine Anne Porter by Katherine Anne Porter

I'm already reading one of these for another challenge, so it's overlap city. Which at this point is probably a good thing!

Next on the agenda will be to assemble all these books in one generous TBR location, so I can get a visual of the reading banquet ahead.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering: am I EVER going to finish the Bocaccio? I've been reading it forever and still have 200 pages left. It's almost enough to make a girl want to go back to Florence, plague or no plague. Enough of this story-telling, already! Sheesh.

3 comments:

  1. I once, and will never again, read Ken Follet's World without End. I am sorry, they made a mistake it the title. That was a book without end. Horrifying, even when I started skipping and scanning. Truly a book without end in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, Oreneta! Sometimes I just can't finish 'em fast enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JG -- I added you link to the list of participants. Thanks for signing up again this year!

    Good luck with the Bocaccio!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.