Friday, December 18, 2009

Signs of the Season

I know it's almost Christmas because . . .

I am baking cookies. Jeweled Hearts and Nutmeg Noels down, Peppermint Bark and Paintbrush Cookies to go.

My friends from my former job banded together to help out one of their co-workers who's going through rough times. They kept it very quiet within the office, to spare her pride, but they managed to get a wish list from her 11-year-old daughter. It was modest enough to break your heart: a Taylor Swift CD and a few items of clothing. So they bought everything on her list and a few surprises, too. Including this year's Holiday Barbie, because she's a big fan of everyone's favorite doll. (Yes, I kept my mouth shut. When your mom's got cancer and your family's living in a by-the-week motel room, you need all the fantasy you can get.) I kicked in for a grocery store gift card, too. Say a prayer for this family, please, if you have one to spare.

I saw Santa at the CVS drugstore. Really. He was off duty, but I'd know him anywhere: roly-poly figure, white beard, red t-shirt, jeans, tennies, and suspenders. I couldn't tell what he had in his bag, though. Drat.

I've gone to the post office 3 times in the last 5 days. In case you haven't been doing the same, the clerks are getting a little frazzled. I hope to goodness they keep it together long enough to deliver what I ordered for C.S. Otherwise it will be a pretty dull Christmas for him, or a major Christmas Eve frazzle for me.

Meanwhile, C.S.'s presents for me arrived already. I've been doing everything but steaming them open, but they aren't yielding any secrets. The darn things don't even rattle. He politely declined to work from a wish list again this year, so there's no telling what he's come up with. He tends to be awfully good at picking out delightful unexpected presents, though, so I have faith. Maybe it's good that he works this way. If he paid any attention to the things I say I want, I'd be finding tires and a weedeater under the tree.

I'm thinking about digging out the movie classics this weekend, It's a Wonderful Life and White Christmas. If I finish the Christmas cards, that is.

Last but not least, I found the perfect present! Isn't it just the most adorable cheese knife you've ever seen?



So adorable, in fact, that I got one for myself, too.

6 comments:

  1. I love when you find a gift that is sooooo perfect you just have to buy one for yourself! Hoping to get my Christmas baking done this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always end up buying some stuff for myself cause I know no one else will. There is a shirt and a watch I have my eye on.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I'm not the only one who hasn't sent out cards yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love delightful unexpected presents. Much better than underwear and socks. I have given up on getting out Christmas cards this year. It's just not going to happen, so I'm going to try to send valentines in February.

    The cheese knife is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am giddy about Christmas. I've been baking and mailing and watching movies and wrapping and all the rest of it. I love it.

    So I REALLY love you new Christmas masthead picture.

    And yes, that cheese knife is super cute. Can I be on your list? ;-) I actually have a cheese plate with a picture of a mouse on it -- that knife would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The knife is available from tenthousandvillages.com, a fair trade shop. We have a store locally, but you can also order on-line.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.