Monday, August 10, 2009

Because One Obsession Just Isn't Enough

A while back I went to a "bead party" arranged by a group I belong to. Held at our local bead shop, it blended snacks, wine, creativity, and female bonding time. Overall it was a fun experience, and it was particularly amazing to see the varied creations everyone made in only two hours.

I had visited the store before and pretty quickly proved unable to make anything, given so many beautiful beads to choose from. Talk about a recipe for brain freeze!

This time I went armed with an idea in advance: I wanted to make a charm for my car, something a little more exotic to hang from her rear view mirror than a car jar or those beads they throw during Mardi Gras (and something that wouldn't conjure up images of what contemporary consumption ritual I might have participated in to get those beads--not that there's anything wrong with that!).

I wasn't too impressed with the result, although Eve seems to like it. And if it keeps her happy as she approaches the transitional milestone of being Paid For, my mission has been accomplished.



Surprisingly, this one dabble led to a full-blown new obsession with necklace-making, played out in a return visit to that store, augmented by supplies from the craft mega-store and another bead store that I stumbled upon on my way to somewhere else.

I never thought of myself as terribly craft-y, but this project has been very fun. And it's amazing how pretty a handful of tacky plastic beads from the 99 cent bin can look in the right setting.


Of course, some of the beads were not 99 cents. These are something called yellow turquoise.


And, of course, there's always art glass.


Please forgive the gaps where the wire shows. These required some improvising, because I don't know how to do clasps.

Yet.

4 comments:

  1. These are GOR GEOUS.I especially love the one with amethyst and green and silver. Being one who loves color and design, I have always wanted to make beaded jewelry, but I haven't gotten that far. Thanks for sharing these beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some friends who are really really into this and you should SEE the amazing things they can make. Goodness me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!! I have been tempted by bead classes but have resisted the urge because I am a craft freak and am easily addicted to this kind of thing. One day I would love to learn how to make glass beads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can!

    Now the problem is that I can hardly go anywhere in this town without passing a bead store, and Eve just automatically turns in. Dangerous.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.