Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Booking Through Wednesday


Here's the latest Booking Through Thursday prompt:

Now that summer is here (in the northern hemisphere, anyway), what is the most “Summery” book you can think of? The one that captures the essence of summer for you?

(I’m not asking for you to list your ideal “beach reading,” you understand, but the book that you can read at any time of year but that evokes “summer.”)

My choice, right or wrong, love it or leave it, is Their Eyes Were Watching God, by Zora Neale Hurston. I don't know if it's a summer book or not, but it says "summer" to me, with a distinctive Florida twang. It has a blossoming tree swarming with bees. It has a hurricane. It has a rabid dog. Most importantly, it has a female heroine who survives bad relationships and eventually blooms into her down-home, magnificent authentic self in the company of her own true love.

You can even read it as a quest novel if you like, with a distinctive blending of the male and female hero archetypes.

If it isn't already on your TBR list, I suggest you add it right now.

Yeah, I love this book.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm. Don't laugh, but the first book that comes to mind is Harriet The Spy. That book was my very favorite as a kid, and the idea of spending my summer days playing undercover detective and taking notes is still very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not laughing! Wasn't it great to have the summer off to read? I devoured a whole bunch of Readers Digest condensed books at grandma's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurston is a good pick! It has a personal summer connotation for me because I read it (for the second time) out loud to my practice husband on our honeymoon, on a sailboat in the San Juan Islands. A very summery memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please explain the phrase "practice husband"!? :-)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.