Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Twin Killing

I'm getting down to the nitty gritty on my collection of first edition National Book Award winners and finalists. Most of the titles I still need (To Kill a Mockingbird, Catcher in the Rye, Slaughterhouse Five, Catch-22, etc.) are either very rare, very expensive, or both. That's why when I do find a book on the list that fits my budget -- one of the obscure but inexpensive ones -- it's cause for celebration. I made two such finds when J.G. and I went out looking for books during our birthday weekend.

The first (The Return of Lady Brace) I found in the $2 book bin outside of Blue Moon Books in Clearwater. I'd never seen it in all my years of searching used bookstores. This is a stock photo I found on the internet. Mine has the dust jacket:


And I found this one (The Landsmen) at a fabulous bookstore in Sarasota, A. Parker's Books. Again, it's a hard-to-find book, and the cost was only $12:



Now, if only I could find a first printing of To Kill a Mockingbird in the $2 bin.

3 comments:

  1. VERY EXCITING!

    Definitely deserving of all-caps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NICE!!

    I recently found a 1921 publication of Cyrano de Bergerac in my bookshoppe's free box. Needless to say, I was thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone can find a book at one of the online dealers, and I'll buy that way now and then. But finding one in person is a thousand times more fun.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.