Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Mr. Travel Agent


Don't have any plans for the summer? Take a vacation, even if it's only a weekend getaway with the spouse or S.O. I can't remember the last time travel was this affordable. Since I make all my own travel arrangements for my job, which requires me to be on the road about 100 nights a year, I'm discovering that hotels are all but begging for business due to the weak economy.

That means deeply discounted room rates at luxury hotels. New York City hotels, which normally charge $250 to $400/night, are going for $150. Off-season rates in Florida and Arizona are under $100/night at spa/resort caliber hotels. I'm staying at a high-end W Hotel in Scottsdale, Ariz., next month for $100/night. And I just booked a room at the downtown Westin in San Francisco for the Fourth of July weekend for $115/night. I'm doing Boston in a couple of weeks for $185 -- a bargain compared to the $350/night downtown hotels there are used to charging. I'm sure you can do even better at the non-luxury hotels. your Courtyard, Hampton Inn, Four Points variety. (Tip: Some hotels will slash their rates even further if you pay in advance for rooms, but with the understanding that the money is non-refundable. Also, if you're a member of AAA, ask for the member discount. They tend to be much lower, as well) I'm telling ya, they're hurtin' right now.

Of course, all of this is easy for me to say since my company is footing the bill. But even if I didn't HAVE to be traveling this summer, I'd WANT to be taking advantage of the deals, even on my own dime.

So go west. Go east and north and south. Just go.

1 comment:

  1. I'm amazed at some of the deals I'm seeing right now. If I had more money and vacation time away from work I'd be seeing the whole stinkin' world in the next few months.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.