Monday, June 15, 2009

Go Ahead, Call Me a Quitter

Say what you will, I'm not going to apologize for this. There's room in my worldview for a reassessment when circumstances call for it.

Back on November 28, I decided that I would set some personal goals using the 101 Things in 1001 Days method. It seemed like a great idea at the time. However, now that I'm 6 months into it, I've decided it's not for me. It's a clever idea, and probably very useful for some people, but too much pressure for my taste.

I've discovered I don't like long-term lists. I like lists I can knock out in a relatively short period of time. A very long list is too daunting, but a list of To Do Today with 5 or 6 items on it is energizing. And almost 3 years is way too long to have one single list hanging over my head, mocking me.

This doesn't mean that I have abandoned my general desire to (among other things) donate blood, revive my dormant Spanish, make a bead necklace, decorate the porch for $150 cash, make jam in the bread machine, memorize a sonnet, or see snow again. It just means I haven't agreed to do them on deadline.

3 comments:

  1. The most fun would be deciding which sonnet to memorize. I have memorized several in the past,and probably do know them still....with a read-over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Women never change their minds - we just re-evaluate the situation and adjust accordingly. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave up on this as well. It's a nice idea, but not for me..

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.