Friday, May 29, 2009

Why I Never Get Anything Done

It's because everything's connected to everything else. I'd like to think life runs as (relatively) smoothly as it does because I have systems . . . but sometimes I wonder.

For example, there is a baking dish soaking in the right half of the sink. I want to clean it up, but there are a few jars and bottles in the left half of the sink, waiting to go into the recycling bin, and I need the left half of the sink to help with washing the baking dish. So before I wash up, I need to take the recycling out.

I pick up the recycling and walk to the storage closet, where the bin lives. There it dawns on me that when I dropped off the recycling yesterday, I left the bin in the car. So before I wash the baking dish, I need to get the recycling bin out of the car.

And as long as I'm going out to the car, I might as well take the trash with me, but no point in doing that until after I've cleaned out the refrigerator. I just know there are some nasty leftovers lurking in the back there.

Also, before I go out to the car, I really should get dressed, or risk frightening the neighbors. And as long as I'm getting dressed, I should take a shower first. Which means that before I wash the baking dish, I need to take a shower, get dressed, clean out the refrigerator, take out the trash, retrieve the recycling bin, and toss in the recyclables. See what I mean?

So I decided to blog about it before I did anything. When you have this kind of a sequence going, starting with something fun is always a plus.

2 comments:

  1. Hahahah! This is a very familiar problem for me. Good luck getting started!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.